Stressful times bring more misunderstanding and conflicts. And unfortunately, parenting is not an exception. The good news is that there are general principles to help you through most challenges your child of any age presents. The right words and actions can’t be the same for different children and situations. But the key principles are similar:
- Make sure your rules are clear and simple.
- Be consistent in rules and consequences.
- When your child is upset or has done something wrong, remain calm. Breathing deeply and slowly helps.
- Be objective, keeping your focus on the single issue at hand.
- Don’t ignore behaviour you don’t want.
- Help kids find and use words rather than acting on emotions with negative behaviours.
- Listen and support your kids and the problems they’re facing.
Using these approaches leads to parenting without power struggles. You will face many parenting issues. Your attitude and demeanour will help them go in your favour and keep them to a minimum.
For help or advice, you can schedule an appointment with Rostyslav Shemechko at 647-866-9061 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Free psychological assistance during the war in Ukraine is available.
Source: Healthy Place