Have you developed your communication skills? They will come in handy when your talk with your teen.
- The first rule is the same. Listen. Sitting back and listening is more effective than direct questions.
- Start with understanding. No matter how hard it might be, try to start all interactions with your child with understanding, even if you don’t fully agree or even quite comprehend what they’re talking about.
- Control your emotions. Remember that your teen is less able to control his or her emotions or think logically being upset.
- Ask your teen for his ideas and be collaborative.
- Look for ways to show that you trust your teen.
What else can you add? Do we have experienced parents here? Share your hacks in the comments!