First thing you have to keep in mind with a depressed friend – do no harm. We already talked what to do, if you want to help such a friend. But it is equally important to know the main don’ts.
– Don’t give advice unless you are a psychotherapist. Especially, advice about lifestyle changes.
– Don’t tell them that you know how they feel
– Don’t tell them to stop being negative
– Don’t minimize or compare their experiences
– Don’t take things personally
Offering compassionate, judgment free support instead, can make the journey out of depression feel less daunting.
Need a professional help? Call 647-866-9061 or fill the form following the link below.